Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Brushing Teeth

Again with the baking soda, while I'm at it. Miracle powder is really what it is, I can't figure out why folks don't buy up pallets of this stuff at a time. Of course I don't either; I only get the normal small-sized boxes singly. Ultra-cheap is one thing, but people looking at me funny out in public makes me uncomfortable buying in bulk.

I really can't possibly begin to imagine over 500 usesbut I reckon I could come up with at least ten or so right off the bat. And as far as for personal healthful living, in addition to calming down the insides, baking soda as tooth cleaner can't be beat.

By itself with a bit of water is fine, with a splash of hydrogen peroxide instead is even better. Good Lord, over the past fifteen years or so how many of the national brands of toothpaste have come out bragging about now with baking soda? Or peroxide? Or both, if you want to pay a premium nearly five bucks a tube. Which would be stupid when it costs literally just pennies to concoct your own.

Of course, you miss out on what the commercial toothpastes also bring along with, the assortment of mystery chemicals and stuff that might give you pause putting it in your mouth. Even the obligatorily added fluoride, turns out not so good for the choppers after all, not so much harmless as toxic instead; before fluoride was deemed a "cavity fighter," it was used as an insecticide and rat poison. I think I'll take my chances doing without, thank you. Yikes.

Amazing so much stuff from tube to brush to mouth to drain to waterways and finally on out into the rest of the environment... not to mention so many billions of tubes ended up in landfills. All of this avoidable with just mushing up a teaspoon of baking soda with a quarter teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide. That's all it takes for a healthier mouth and a healthier planet.

Sure it's not minty fresh, though I don't mind the saltiness of it really; I kind of like it. But I've read from others who have jazzed it up also adding to the mix a drop of peppermint oil or even something to do with orange rinds or extract or whatever. Pretty much anything, I suppose, that makes it more tasty. Me, I'll stick with the basic just two recipe ingredients. It's cheaper that way, but that's just me.

blog comments powered by Disqus