Friday, April 9, 2010

Cheap laughs, Fruitty and Igny

The grocery store's dollar aisle! Gotta love it. From one endcap to the other, all the various and sundry foodstuffs with those yellow $1 (or 2/$1 even better!) tabs stuck in the slots underneath. Where this all comes from, I have no idea, everything there is a step below the regular store brands, even.

So I bought this here box of cereal, conspicuously a Froot Loops knock-off of sorts, without bothering to pay much more attention than that it was just a buck. Cheap counts to me, it's a good thing linguistic prescription not so much... I didn't notice until only a couple of days ago that I had bought myself some Fruitty Wheels! To tell you the truth, they weren't even so very one-T fruity as far as taste goes, doubling up letters can hardly compensate for that.

Then I noticed that cool skater dude also on the box. At least I first thought he was a skater except that he has no wheels, so I think he's maybe supposed to be milk-surfing or something instead. With arguably nonessential knee pads and elbow pads, gloves, too, but I reckon safety precautions can't be overdone.

It says his name is Igny, by the way. Igny. I had to Google that before I made too much fun of it, and so far as I can tell the kid's only namesakes are some assorted French towns. According to the Fruitty Wheels box, Igny is a "product of Argentina", so very transnational is the Pampa brand's target market.

Toucan Sam has nothing to worry his pretty avian head about, that's for sure. Fruitty Wheels are a hinky cereal, I can't tell exactly why they suck so bad. But hey, at least I'm only out a single for it, and I'm not disinclined to pay for an occasional amusement no matter how mingy I might be. Clearly it doesn't take an awful lot to amuse me, whatever. I don't get out much.

blog comments powered by Disqus