Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Plastic Bag, the Movie

I went to the grocery store last Sunday and, once again, forgot to take along my ChicoBag. Probably its dinky, handy size stuffed up inside itself is what makes me forget about it sometimes; I should probably keep it prominently undid somewhere to remember, because I feel bad whenever I leave it behind.

That sounds like a plug, but it's really not. I simply don't like using the plastic bags from the store, any reusable would do fine by me; I just happen to have the ChicoBag is all. I had intended to shop on the cheap at the bestest store in the world Aldi, but winter crapped on us last weekend and Aldi is some 20 miles or so away, I opted going to the only store here in town instead.

I swear to God, this particular chain of stores must own stock in some sort of plastics affair, because they totally outdo themselves how many bags they can use up! Pathetic, it is, and I was a part of that on Sunday, probably skewing higher the already boggling stats: 60,000 plastic bags used in the U.S. every five seconds, more than 100,000 marine animals killed off every year, not to mention the unbelievable resources used up just to make the things.

The Odessa store alone might very well be solely responsible for that Pacific Ocean vortex thingy, I could imagine. Yeah, my bad, and I'll try to do better remembering the next time. I do lots of stuff that's not so planet-friendly, I'm sure, but I try my best doing whatever I can, and after watching this movie I think I'll do better remembering my ChicoBag hereafter.

Plastic Bag, the epic, existential journey of a plastic bag searching for its lost maker, the woman who took it home from the store and then discarded it, trying to grasp its purpose in the world. Eventually it winds up in the ocean, a promised nirvana where it will settle among its own kind, letting go the memory of its maker...

blog comments powered by Disqus